Saturday, June 13, 2009

Could the G-Free Diet Actually Help People?

OK..so I have not read the book. I just can't fathom spending good money on a 'book' written by a 'celebrity' when the title is called the G-Free diet. After all, eating gluten free is not trendy, rather it is a necessity.

I have been relying on all of the published reviews to confirm my suspicion that the book is full of misinformation. I mean even her 'website' contains misleading information about safe food. She called CD a 'wheat allergy' in numerous interviews and advises people to try the diet to get an 'energy boost' and as a way to loose weight. I don't know about you, but I gained weight when I was diagnosed because I had been 20-30 pounds underweight my whole life.

So I was about to write off the book when something interesting happened at my daughter's daycare on Friday. I am the 'cool' Mom who takes in baked goods from time to time for my daughter's class to enjoy for their afternoon snack. Nothing fancy, but always gluten free.

Miss Jessica is my daughter's new teacher. She approached me the day after I brought in the Gluten Free Pantry's Chocolate Truffle Brownies and asked me if they were gluten free. I told her yes and then she proceeded to ask me if I had Celiac Disease(CD). Well, I don't have to tell you how shocked I was that she knew what CD actually is, but I was very intrigued. Apparently she learned about CD by watching one of the many interviews Elizabeth Hasselback did on her new book and wanted to ask me how I was diagnosed and what my symptoms had been.

She then goes on to tell me that she has suffered from stomach problems for 10 years and was diagnosed with IBS and even had her Galbladder removed. Nothing has seemed to relieve her constant headaches, iritability, stomach bloating, anxiety, etc., etc., etc. The same story we have all heard from the newly diagnosed.

I advised her to visit her Gastroenterologist and have her doctor run the CD pannel. She was shocked that it would only take a blood test to get a diagnosis. I had to tell her to keep eating gluten until her blood had been drawn. I also warned her that they might need to do an endoscope to confirm diagnosis.

I told her not to waste her money on the G-Free diet and advised her that there were a number of books written by medical professionals that would help her understand CD, if indeed she has it, and metioned that she could be Gluten Sensitive and not Intolerant depending on her test results.

I am left wondering if the publicity from this 'book' could actually lead people to a diagnosis? If so, then I have to applaud Ms. Hasselback for FINALLY talking publically about CD, but also scold her for not consulting a medical professional when writing this book and for trying to trivialize an autoimmune disorder.

What I am left with is mixed feelings. I guess any publicity is good publicity, as long as it can help people.

No comments:

Post a Comment